The project is co-funded by European Union through the Interreg-IPA CBC Bulgaria–Turkey Programme.

A- A A+

Mezek – Ivaylovgrad route

Starting point: At the tour operator's proposal

Route: Mezek village - Siva river village - Malko gradishte village - Dabovets village - Kamilski dol village - Lambhuh village - Huhla village - Ivaylovgrad

Endpoint: Upon preposition of the tour operator

Program:
9.30 am Arriving in front of Katarzyna Estate Winery (GPS 41.74669, 26.13939)
9.30 am – 10.15 am Tour of the Winery, wine tasting and buying wine
10.15 am – 10.45 am Tour of the Medieval fortress Mezek (GPS 41.73494, 26.08008)
10.45 am – 11.30 am Visit to Mezek Winery (GPS 41.73687, 26.08969), tour of the Winery, wine tasting and buying wine
11.30 am – 12.30 am Tour of the Thracian domed tomb (GPS 41.73518, 26.10178)
12.30 am – 1.30 pm Traveling to Ivaylovgrad
1.30 pm – 2.30 pm Lunch in hotel-restaurant St.St. Constantine and Elena (GPS 41.52213, 26.11907)
2.30 pm – 3.30 pm Tour of the Ancient Villa Armira (GPS 41.49914, 26.10649)
3.30 pm – 4.30 pm Visiting the Yamanyevs Winery (GPS 41.52674, 26.13106), wine tasting and buying wine
4.30 pm – 6.30 pm Visit to the "Traditional Culinary Heritage" Festival, in the central square of Ivaylovgrad (GPS 41.52669, 26.12427) - only during the first weekend of September
6.30 pm Departure from Ivaylovgrad

Medieval fortress

Rate this item
(0 votes)

The fortress near by Mezek village, the municipality of Svilengrad, is one of the best preserved in its original form fortresses on our lands. It dates back to XI century, the time of the Byzantine Emperor Alexius I Komnin (1081-1117).

The fortress had the functions of a border guard fortress. It protected the territories between the rivers Arda and Maritsa.

The fortress was built on the site of older settlements from the Early Iron Age and the late Iron Age. It occupies an area of 7 acres, which is a quadrangle of dimensions 110 x 60 m.

Its walls are made of stones, bonded with white mortar and decorated with three brick belts on the outside. Its defense is reinforced by nine towers over 10 meters high.

Until 1900, the castle's cobbles were preserved. The main entrance is located on the western wall. Another small entrance has a tower on the eastern wall.

Besides the view of the village and the surrounding area, in clear weather from the towers of the fortress there is a panorama to the Aegean Sea.

Coordinates:
Mezek village, Svilengrad Municipality
Tourist Information Center – Svilengrad
+359 889 044 016; +359 886 000 726
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. 

Last modified on Wednesday, 11 July 2018 08:40

Leave a comment

Make sure you enter all the required information, indicated by an asterisk (*). HTML code is not allowed.